Foam rollers can be used to self-treat areas of muscular tension in the body and to prepare for sports . They exist in a variety of patterns and degrees of firmness.
Buy a foam roller and just roll the tight or painful area of your body over it. Try out different degrees of pressure for best results.
- May improve sports performance
- May improve pain
- May increase the range of motion in joints
- May reduce sore muscles after sports
- May reduce stress
- May improve posture
Foam rollers stimulate and release tensions in the myofascial tissue that connects muscles and joints . Thereby, muscular tensions are released and the range of motion in the joints can be improved.
- Before or after workout
- When having pain or muscle tightness
- Cheatham, S. W., Kolber, M. J., Cain, M., & Lee, M. (2015). The Effects of Self‐Myofascial Release Using a Foam Roll or Roller Massager on Joint Range of Motion, Muscle Recovery, and Performance: a Systematic Review. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, 10(6), 827–838. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26618062
- Cole, G. (2018). The Evidence Behind Foam Rolling: A Review. 3, 194–206.
- Wiewelhove, T., Döweling, A., Schneider, C., Hottenrott, L., Meyer, T., Kellmann, M., … Ferrauti, A. (2019). A Meta-Analysis of the Effects of Foam Rolling on Performance and Recovery. Frontiers in Physiology, 10. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2019.00376
Effects of the foam roller depend on the length of application and pressure.