Kayaking is a great outdoor water sport that can be done on lakes, rivers, or even in the ocean. Most kayaks are enclosed boats and you need to use a double-sided paddle to push yourself through the water.
Join your local kayak club to learn how to best maneuver the boat or rent one with a friend who can show you how to do it.
- May strengthen upper body
- May improve posture and balance
- May improve muscular performance
- May improve mood
- May improve well-being
- Kayaking involves coordinated upper body exercise (1) and if performed for longer periods of time it becomes aerobic exercise that may improve heart and respiratory function (2)
- Being out in nature may improve our wellbeing, creativity and our self-reported health (3).
- Choi, W., & Lee, S. (2018). Ground Kayak Paddling Exercise Improves Postural Balance, Muscle Performance, and Cognitive Function in Older Adults with Mild Cognitive Impairment: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Medical Science Monitor : International Medical Journal of Experimental and Clinical Research, 24, 3909–3915. https://doi.org/10.12659/MSM.908248
- Shephard, R. J. (1987). Science and Medicine of Canoeing and Kayaking. Sports Medicine, 4(1), 19–33. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-198704010-00003
- White, M. P., Alcock, I., Grellier, J., Wheeler, B. W., Hartig, T., Warber, S. L., … Fleming, L. E. (2019). Spending at least 120 minutes a week in nature is associated with good health and wellbeing. Scientific Reports, 9(1), 1–11. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-44097-3
- If you are new to kayaking, don’t do it alone as there is a danger of the boat flipping over.
- Kayaking in cold weather increases the risk of catching a cold.
- Life vest/jacket
- Life vest/jacket
- Wetsuit boots
- Spray deck
- Repair kit
- First aid kit
During daytime, especially during the summer.
Ideally before 10am or after 4pm
- Wear sunscreen
- Pick scenic places
- Kayak in waves for extra fun and resistance